Sunday, November 02, 2008




There oughtta NOT be a law


When I was a kid, I'd make sure to read "There Oughtta Be A Law" cartoon in the funnies. I always chuckled because they came up with really silly new laws. Now that I'm expected to vote on 17 new propositions on the California / San Diego ballot, I keep thinking that there "Ought Not Be A Law" makes me laugh more.

Prop 8: There ought NOT be an amendment to the California Constitution. Period.

What's funny - A law disguised as pious but in fact is hypocrytical is funny. Molière's farce, Tartuffe, tackled this subject back in the 1600s.

Prop 4: There ought NOT be a law that requires parental notification if a young woman wants to terminate her pregnancy.

What's funny - Let's call it Sarah's Law and make people so afraid that they won't realize it's an attempt to overturn Rowe v. Wade.

Prop 2: There ought NOT be a law that animals must be free-range.

What's funny - If passed just think of the training class of people who are hired to enforce it. Consumers should demand that their 'protein' be free-range and only buy from producers who certify it.

"Unjust laws exist: shall we be content to obey them, or shall we endeavor to amend them, and obey them until we have succeeded, or shall we transgress them at once?"

- Thoreau

1 comment:

Liz said...

I used to read that comic, too. Great analogy!