Sunday, November 30, 2008



There's no hope.

I don't believe in hope. The Obama Hope campaign is lost on me.

I was re-reading a favorite book, "When Things Fall Apart" by Pema Chodron, an American Buddhist nun and I know that I am not alone.

Ms. Chodron suggests putting a magnet on the refrigerator that says, "Abandon Hope" instead of another affirmation like, "Every day in every way I'm getting better and better."

I may take her up on her suggestion because to me saying, "give up hope" isn't cynical. Without hope I am personally responsible for my actions and words. Without hope I can let go of things that are changing and let new ideas and things into my life. Without hope I allow myself to be here, now.

I would love to buy into Obama's Hope campaign because it would let me feel more relaxed that good things are one the way. It just feels like a Christian notion of the after life disguised as cutting edge politics.

No comments: