Friday, January 23, 2009



Less Is More

I called my cable company to lower my bill. They told me no can do, BUT, for the same price I now have a DVR. I guess at least they saved me time - and as we know time=money.

Well, that's a cable company and they are monopoly-like. What about in areas where there is competition? In 2009 I have noticed the trend for less is more in two areas.

1. Netbooks. I've read several articles that people buying these lower priced gadgets because they are good enough for things like email and surfing the net. I have one and I like it. Although I suffer a bit because I didn't fork over the money for Windows and got Ubuntu instead. Little did I know that Ubuntu is for people who like to program themselves.

2. McMansions. New houses are getting smaller in America. According to the U.S. Census Bureau the average size of homes started in the third quarter of 2008 was 2,438 square feet, down from 2,629 square feet in the second quarter. Now, compared to other countries in the world this is gargantuan. The average size of a house in France is about 1,100 square feet and I'd love to know what it is in Japan.

I would love more Americans to embrace the less is more mantra. Not just because it saves money but because it just makes sense.

1 comment:

get zapped said...

Smart post. I agree, and I hope one good thing that comes from this economic downturn, is people embrace simplicity.

Thanks for posting this....